It’s time to track your tasks
Creating a concept mobile app to meet a classmate’s needs.
- Sprint duration: 1-week
- Brief type: Concept
- Team: Solo
- Tools: Miro, Marvel and pen and paper for sketching
For my first ever UX design challenge I was tasked with creating a mobile app for my classmate, Issy, based on the theme of working remotely. Using the double diamond design process, I developed the solution TaskTracker, a task time estimation app which would keep Issy organised in the WFH world.
Getting to know Issy
For the first stage of my discovery process I needed to learn about Issy’s needs, so I conducted a user interview with her over Zoom.
My goal was to understand:
- How she organises her day
- Her attitude towards working remotely
- The struggles she faces in this new virtual world
My key findings were:
- Issy struggles to balance work, play and chores
- She often misjudges how long tasks take
- She wants to fit a lot of tasks into her day
- She finds it difficult to stay motivated when working from home
Diving deeper into Issy’s pain points
To understand further the frictions Issy experiences when working remotely, I created an experience map.
I centered this scenario around a typical day in Issy’s life. She starts her day feeling positive by planning her daily tasks. However, her plan is later ruined, when she is late to her afternoon classes due to a queue at the post office. She finishes her day feeling frustrated.
How can Issy avoid this type of experience happening again?
What problem Issy faced
Based on my user interview findings and my experience map, I defined a problem statement to summarise Issy’s main goal when working remotely.
Issy, a UX design student, needs to manage her time efficiently when working remotely so that she can stay on top of her studies and achieve a work/life balance.
I used this problem statement as the basis for the ideation stage of my design process.
With the problem statement in mind, I sketched out six solutions for an app to help Issy manage her time more efficiently.
I then narrowed down my ideas to one solution. Meet TaskTracker, a task management app which estimates the time tasks will take, recommends if users have enough time to complete them and tracks the progress of tasks in real time.
To help visualise this concept, I created a storyboard and outcomes statement.
- Situation: Issy is a UX student studying remotely
- Problem: She is frustrated because she was late to class after running a lunchtime errand
- Solution: Issy plans her tasks better with the app TaskTracker which estimates how long a task will take
- Outcome: Issy is on time to all her classes
Creating Issy’s journey
After defining the problem, exploring different ideas and devising a solution, I created this user flow to show Issy’s journey when completing a task on the app.
Sketching out my screen flow
Next, I put pen to paper and sketched out wireframes for the key pages in my user flow. I then created a clickable prototype in Marvel.
Testing take one
I tested the first iteration of my prototype on 2 users. Both users had a common blocker with the task details page sharing the following insights:
- The page was copy heavy and users didn’t know what information was important
- Users were confused about the function of the task description icon as it was identical to the menu button
- Users were not sure what the delay CTA meant
Iterating take one
After reviewing this user feedback, I focused my iterations on the task detail page. I made the following changes:
- Condensed the task breakdown time into a drop down list with the aim to declutter the page
- Changed the description icon to distinguish it from the menu icon
- Changed the final CTA from delay to reschedule to help better inform the user of the button’s function.
Testing take two
I then tested my updated prototype on Issy! She found the app easy to navigate however, she still experienced issues with the hierarchy of information on the task details page.
She focused their attention on the task schedule time and the description instead of the live estimated task time.
Iterating take two
From her feedback, I reordered the information on the page and moved the estimated task time to the top to make it more visible.
After 2 rounds of usability tests I ended up with a final clickable prototype. Check it out here and let me know what you think!
I really enjoyed working on my first ever UX design challenge. It was certainly a baptism of 🔥 due to it’s fast-paced nature but it was exciting and stimulating to work quickly, conduct user research and react fast to feedback to iterate my prototype.
My key takeaways from this project are:
- User interviews are challenging: I found asking Issy non-leading questions tricky but it allowed to gain insights that surprised me
- Testing really works: It was rewarding to see the positive changes my design went through based on feedback from users
To take this project to the next level, I would create low-fidelity wireframes to test on users with similar needs to Issy and iterate my designs in line with their feedback. I would then test, test, test!
🙏 Thank you for reading!
👏 Clap if you enjoyed this article
💼 Visit my portfolio to see my work: katiechase.co.uk